cont-head-118-heritage.jpg
cont-head-113-heritage.jpg
cont-head-111-heritage.jpg
cont-head-112-heritage.jpg
cont-head-115-heritage.jpg
cont-head-121-heritage.jpg

Our Heritage

Founded in 1911, Pinova pioneered the wood rosin industry and developed the technologies for the extraction and refining of wood rosin. Over the years, Pinova has continued to develop ground-breaking technologies for the derivatization and expanded utilization of rosin.
 


Our Milestones

 

1911 Homer Yaryan builds the Brunswick, Georgia plant. Using his patented pine rosin extraction process, Mr. Yaryan introduces an early form of green chemistry and ushers in the modern Naval Stores era.
1920 Hercules Incorporated acquires the Yaryan Naval Stores business.
1928 Hercules patents a new rosin refining process. Pexite® wood rosin and Belro® rosin production begin. Pexite wood rosin becomes the “building block” for all future rosin derivatives development.
1938 Vinsol® resin production begins.  Vinsol becomes the industry standard for the concrete air entrainment and asphalt emulsion markets.
1942 Synthetic resins facilities are moved to Brunswick and expanded to support the war effort. The development and commercialization of wood rosin esters targeted at the adhesives, automotive and food industries begins. Rosin esters receive initial regulatory approvals for use as food additives.
1968 Staybelite® and Foral® AX hydrogenated rosins are produced at Brunswick. Hydrogenation technology becomes a core competency. Highly stable and less prone to oxidation, Staybelite and Foral AX are rapidly formulated into pressure-sensitive and hot melt adhesives.  They are the building blocks for an entire line of food additive and food contact ingredients.
1969 Pinova® Ester Gum 8BG is authorized for use by the US Food and Drug Administration as a weighting and density adjustment agent in oil and water based beverages. Global regulatory approvals soon follow and Ester Gum 8BG becomes the preferred weighting and clouding agent for the beverage industry.
1980 Piccolyte® polyterpene resins are manufactured at Brunswick. Produced from natural terpene extracts, Piccolyte resins gain broad regulatory clearances for use as food additives, ingredients in food contact applications and as agricultural adjuvants.
2002 The stumpwood milling process is redesigned and automated to improve efficiency and reduce utility costs. Less water and energy are used to grind pine stumps.
2010 TorQuest Partners acquires the Brunswick business and the Pinova, Inc. era begins. The facility is licensed by the Georgia Department of Agriculture to manufacture food ingredients.
2012 Pinova invests over $8MM in GMP compliant food packaging and warehousing operations and food safety programs at its Brunswick, Georgia operations. Pinova strengthens its position as the industry leader in safe, high quality food, cosmetics, personal care and medical ingredients.
2015 Pinova Holdings, Inc., the parent company of Pinova is purchased from TorQuest Partners by Symrise AG.
2016 DRT purchases the Pinova Brunswick Plant from Symrise and assumes ownership in December 2016